Tuesday, August 12, 2014

It's In His Hands

I started gardening as a hobby. I pulled up grass and broke ground. I dug up large stones that would impeded roots as they stretched deeper into the ground. When I was done I covered the bare ground with mulch to add some cover to portions left in the open.
 
Over time I realized there was a need to go back and tend to the plants and the soil. The plants needed fertilizer and the beds themselves needed to be mulched again. The weeds needed to be removed. I could not imagine the effort it would take to keep those areas I had changed from becoming an eye sore.
 
As I continue my labor of love, I now see that there is never a time when I can actually say there is nothing to do. I always see something to prune or an area that did not come out as well as I had anticipated.
 
My hobby resembles my spiritual walk in many ways, except God is the gardener and I am the garden. He has removed much debris and has planted His Holy Spirit inside of me. I remember my heart being cultivated by His words and the breaking up of hard ground. The removal of stones and the pulling of the weeds. When all was done He covered me with His amazing grace. Yet, with all that He has done there is still much to do. Except the LORD build the house, they labor in vain that built it (Ps. 127:1). I trust Him and understand that even when things tend to lie dormant His watchful eye remains. He not only watches over the things He has changed but, also sees the work that must still be done. As Paul told the Philippian church, "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: (Phil. 1:6). He is still watching and He is still working, so keep believing.

Be blessed.

No comments: