Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Obedience and Faith

I have been an Information Technology contractor for over seventeen years. I have learned a lot about the processes of change and renewal. It has been almost three years and I have been working consistantly on a temporary contract. When I got here the contract was in what is called an option year. I expected the contract to come to an end eventually but I hadn't invisioned the change process. You see I am one of those who likes to be able to plan for the next task. I am a visionary by nature and would like to see the whole picture at once in order to anticipate my next steps. The scriptures say, "the steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord(Psalm 37:23)." The reality is, I do not mind my steps being ordered; I just like to see where I am going. This has been the source of much anxiety in the past but praise God for growth.

In first Kings chapter seventeen the prophet Elijah was given a set of instructions. He was told to go and hide by the brook Cherith. God had already made provision for him. That was the place Elijah was supposed to go and wait for further instructions. Elijah was obedient and followed God's instruction. As a result he was sustained there for a period of time. Prior to this Elijah had a conversation with the reigning king of Israel Ahab. He told him that there would be no rain for a space of three years. At this time the dry season hadn't started. Each year in this region there was six months without rain. So, as Elijan went to hide himself at the brook as instructed it may have been flowing with a powerful surge of fallen rain and melted snow from the mountains surrounding. The command of God was in affect as the ravens brought nourishment for him morning and evening and he was able to drink of the brook all day long. The will of God was a refuge for Elijah.

As time went on and the drought ensued, the raging waters of the brook Cherith came to a quiet flow then to an intermittent trickle. The brook eventually dried up. Elijah was still there in the midst of the changes and the transition into the prayer he had prayed. After the brook dried up the Lord told Elijah to move. Elijah was instructed to go to Zeraphath. There was a widow woman there who would sustain him at this point. While in the place of ordered steps we are able to see the omnipotence and omnicience of God. It is by His power things happen and His forknowledge prepares His people. I thank Him that He has taught me to hold on to see what the end will be. My coming to know Him has enabled me to accept the places He leads me. As the environment changes I see the will and the power of God being exercised in the earth. David said, "I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.(Psalm 27:13)" He reveals His goodness through His faithfulness to those who trust in Him. When the drought pressured the land it had no bearing on the man of God. Elijah trusted God enough to allow every situation to run its course. I would to God that we become as obedient as Elijah in the midst of change and transition.

No comments: